Don’t forget to tune into 106th & Park tonight at 6:00 pm for the world premiere of Nicki Minaj’s first single, “Massive Attack” from her upcoming debut album!
The wait is officially over.
The invasion begins. Nicki Minaj unloads “Massive Attack,” the first single from her Young Money debut. The explosive record features Sean “The Pen” Garrett and was also produced by him and Alex Da Kid.
Nicki Minaj said she told XXL magazine, “No disrespect, but no thanks.” The sexy rapper declined the invitation to be a part of the 2010 Freshmen 10 issue because, like her Young Money compatriot Drake, she felt she should have been down last year.
“Drake and I, we love XXL,” she told us recently on the set of her video for “Massive Attack.” “We just shot for XXL. With all due respect, we felt like we kinda had graduated from the freshman class. We felt that XXL missed the mark when they didn’t put us on the cover prior to that. They have to pay for that. They can’t say, ‘Hey, get on the next one.’ But we love XXL. That’s like a hip-hop classic. So we said, ‘Can we have something just a little bit more catered to us, so that we feel like we have still grown as artists, so we’re not at all disrespecting the magazine?’ They were cool with that.
“We didn’t dictate, we just asked nicely,” Nicki smiled.
“Technically, we were freshmen when they didn’t put us on,” Drake told ImFlashy.com in February. “I feel now it’s just returning the favor.”
Earlier this month, the publication revealed their Freshmen 10. The roster consisted of OJ Da Juiceman, Nipsey Hussle, Jay Rock, Pill, Donnis, Fashawn, J. Cole, Wiz Khalifah, Freddie Gibbs and Big Sean.
From what we’ve seen of Nicki Minaj—the Barbie braggadocio and hot pink obsession—it’s hard to think her upcoming single “Massive Attack,” was originally sought after by a man. But the song’s writer and producer, Sean Garrett, says Jamie Foxx was pleading for it.
“I say this because I love Jamie, but he actually wanted Nicki Minaj’s first single. He really, really wanted that record,” Garrett told VIBE, mentioning that Foxx heard the record before it reached Minaj. “He was very persistent. Superstars don’t ever like to be told ‘no.’ I didn’t necessarily feel good about telling him ‘no’ either, but out of respect for him and our friendship I wanted to make sure that I did give him something else that was great.“
Garrett—who is currently working on Foxx’s fourth album, tentatively titled Body—further explained why the song would have set the Academy Award winner back. “As much as I love Jamie, I know that wasn’t the record for him. But you know when artists hear something that’s a hit, they don’t care what it sound like. They want it. I didn’t want to put Jamie out there looking crazy,” he continued.
“Jamie is a little bit more adult contemporary. As a producer, you have to give artists what’s best for them, so I always have to keep into perspective who Jamie is and not give him something that’s not in his lane. It could be a hot record, but it’s still got to fit his swag or the fans aren’t going to believe it. Jamie Foxx, ‘Massive Attack’? C’mon, nah.”
While Garrett held out on Foxx, he revealed that he had another female in mind for the record before Minaj. “I can’t tell you who I really did the record for. But I will tell you that I definitely had somebody in mind like a Nicki. Somebody that had the personality to handle a record that big,” he says. “Only Nicki and one other person in my eyes could’ve done this record and at the end of the day I made an executive call and saw that it was better suited for her. And the shit is incredible.”
Sean Garrett is preparing to film the video to his lead single, “Get It All,” featuring Nicki Minaj, next week. —Tracy Garraud
The hair is big and blond, the car is sleek and pink, and the money is green and in abundance. Nicki Minaj shot her first official solo video Monday in Lancaster, California.
While the video set was deep in the desert, it was far from barren. Nicki brought her ladies (extras dressed in pink wigs and showing lots of cleavage), her sexy home girl and some of her musical family.
Young Money’s First Lady exclusively tells Rap-Up.com that one of her weapons of mass destruction is Kanye West. “I’m probably definitely going to work with Kanye,” she reveals.
She also spilled the names of other beatmakers who may grace the as-yet-untitled album. “On my debut, I worked with Sean Garrett. And probably Swizz Beatz, he’s gonna send me something.”
But it won’t only be familiar names. “I like to work with unknown producers as well, so I accept beats from everybody.”
Garrett, who is featured on and produced Minaj’s “explosive” lead single, recently told Rap-Up.com that he has contributed additional tracks. “She just wants to make it as huge as possible,” he said of the project.
The head Barbie’s first order of business is shooting a video for “Massive Attack” as well as Garrett’s first single “Get It All,” the latter of which will be directed by Gil Green.
–D.L. with reporting by Georgette Cline
Just when you thought you had seen it all from Nicki Minaj, she joins Ludacris on his upcoming album “Battle of the Sexes”.
Ludacris is waging an all-out war with the opposite sex. The Atlanta rapper has challenged some of female rap’s biggest stars to a battle on his new album.
Lil’ Kim, Eve, Trina, and Nicki Minaj are among those getting in the ring with the Grammy winner on his seventh studio album Battles of the Sexes, due March 16. Previously planned as a joint album with femcee Shawnna, the set will also include appearances from Ne-Yo, Ciara, Flo Rida, and Plies.
“There’s never really been an album with a male rapper and a female rapper together going head-to-head on different issues, mostly relationship issues,”Ludacris told Rap-Up.com last year. Bangladesh, Swizz Beatz, and J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League have all contributed to the project.
“How Low,” the first single off the follow-up to 2008’s Theater of the Mind, is already No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. A video directed by Dave Myers debuted last week.
Both Young Money and Eminem made a huge impact on The Billboard 200 this week, putting hip-hop back on the top of the charts.
We Are Young Money, the debut album from Lil Wayne’s protégés, landed at the no. 9 position after its first week on shelves. The group, which consists of Drake, Nicki Minaj, Jae Millz, Gudda Gudda, Mack Maine, Tyga, Lil’ Chuckee and Lil Twist, managed to move 142,100 units, according to the Nielsen SoundScan.